Cooking Up A Little DIY Room Renovation for My Emma Kathryn...

Thursday, May 17, 2012

I think I am going to go ahead and just stop saying that I'm going to start posting more because whoa! Holy two posts a month batman! I know. I am w.i.l.d. Things have been crazy around here lately but I have so many things cooking in my mind to post about that I have to get started!

Despite all the craziness that is our lives with two toddlers, we have started another little DIY project. This time though, it's for my baby Emma Kathryn (and yes, I fully realize she is not a baby but maybe if I keep saying that, she will stop getting bigger and never grow up).

She has gotten so big lately, that it takes my breath away. She is my amazing Emma Kathryn an I really wanted to do something special for her. The original idea was to give her a room makeover for her Birthday, but we couldn't figure out how to do it overnight and frankly, I was just too excited not to start. We still have a long way to go...but let's see where we started.

This is what Emma's room looked like when we first moved into the house (and probably for a couple of months afterwards). I can't even remember it like this. Then again I can't even remember my life without my Emma Kathryn, so I suppose it makes sense.



After a couple transformations pre-baby, we ended up with this as Emma's room for almost three years. We had a few small changes and these pictures are a little bit old, but you get the idea. Emma apparently didn't feel like wearing any pants that day. To this day, I still love the high chair rail, and the white paint underneath. It's clean, it's crisp. I have very limited style when it comes to home decorating so if I don't have an inspiration picture, I'm pretty lost. I think that kind of happened in Emma's room (and apparently I have a fear of large frames because her pictures are way too small!).

I like adding little personal things, even if no one knows about them. Like those three flower pictures hanging on Emma's wall. Those are pictures that I took, of the flowers that my mom gave me for my 30th Birthday. The rocker you see on the left hand side, was Emma's great Grandmother's, my Muzzy. It's pretty old and warn, but I just can't build up the nerve to try to paint it or get new padding. I'm too afraid to mess it up.


For a long time now, Emma has been sleeping in her "big girl bed" which was just her crib with the front taken off. But no longer. A few weeks ago, I ordered the conversion kit and Emma has now been sleeping in her TRUE big girl bed. She looks so tiny in it.



See that picture in the middle of her windows? That was made by Emma's incredibly talented Gigi. Her Daddy has the same thing when he was little. Wait until you see Gigi's awesome Hot Air Balloons that she made Emma and Jackson. Amazing.

Oh, and yeah, that's "Oscar" getting his picture taken....



I was so excited to get started on Emma's new big girl room, that I didn't realize how much I was going to miss all the little things that she has had since she was a baby. Like her wall decals, that I remember spending what seemed like forever putting up while I was pregnant. Doing everything in my power to make them perfect for my soon to be baby girl.


Her tiny little hand prints and foot prints that hang on the wall....


Her little train from her Mimi, that she gets to add to every year (that's not going away, just need a better place for it).


It seems like so long ago, that we had crib bumpers and mobiles hanging in my baby girl's room...


So, you have to wait for the big reveal and pictures of Emma's new big girl room when we are done (my goal is still to be done by her Birthday) but we are making some progress. Along with Emma's full-size bed, new sheets, new pillows and new comforter, we have repainted the top part of her walls a light lavender and rearranged the room to fit her new bed. So next on the list is all the little things. New lamp shade, new curtains and new wall decor (which is where I am really stuck). 

I want it to be girly. I want it to be simple. I want it to be perfect for my baby girl.

Oh, and just a little quick snapshot of Emma Kathryn in her big girl bed for the first night ever....

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs