Emma's New Room (So Far)

Friday, October 12, 2012

I know I know! I'm not even going to mention that I am hoping to keep the blog updated (even though I still truly am) because I think I said that last time, you know, back in July when I posted last. DOH! Anyway....

A little while ago I mentioned that we were cooking up a little DIY room renovation for our Emma Kathryn. Although I had grand ideas of surprising her on her 3rd Birthday with a brand new room that was completely done, it didn't exactly happen that way and we still aren't really finished (I know, you are totally surprised right?). But, in the spirit of hopefully keeping this blog alive, I decided to post about it now instead of waiting until its completely finished, with how fast we are moving, should be in the year 2018. :)

So let's take a quick look at what we started with. Here is Emma's room prior to us setting up her true big girl bed....


And here is her room today! I actually love the purple and white, although it's pretty tricky to photograph to show the exact color of the purple. I took these shots on a somewhat cloudy afternoon too so they are a bit darker then her room actually is. I'm also not quite sure I love where we have the furniture set up, but I think I'm just used to her little crib and still getting used to how much room her big girl bed actually takes up.

The color on her walls is Simplicity by BEHR® (640E-3), and her bedding is from Pottery Barn Kids (on sale of course).



I think this is one of my favorite parts of her room now. I saw a similar picture a long time ago and was struggling to figure out what you put on the walls of a "big girl room" but still keeping it fun for Emma. After I saw the picture, it took me a little while to figure out how to attach the vases to the wall too! After a quick stop at Michael's for some $2.00 vases, a couple of floral stems, two frames and some Velcro...voila! They probably aren't perfect but I love them and so does Emma Kathryn.



I have had my eye on a Pottery Barn Kids lamp for Emma's room for months now, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $82 plus shipping on one lamp (that will most likely be broken within a year)! And of course, they make their lamp shades so that they only fit Pottery Barn lamp bases. So we headed to Target and purchased two $15 green lamps and a $5 glue gun. I took some of the green and white polka dot ribbon I had from Emma's first birthday and glued it around the top and bottom to make the lamps a bit more girly. Add in a fake flower from the clearance rack at Michael's (another whopping $1.50 purchase) and there you go! Not quite Pottery Barn, but it will do.


Here is what we started with on the other side of Emma's room....


This is where we still need a lot of work but here is a picture of what it looks like now....




This part of her room kind of happened on accident but next to her flowers on the wall, it's probably my next favorite spot because of how much Emma LOVES her new Princess dress up area. :) I had pulled this mirror out of our basement thinking we could hang it above her dresser, but after the kids were going crazy with it sitting in the Dining Room, we pulled it upstairs and sat it against the wall. Emma starting twirling and whirling in front of it so I brought over her princess dresses that she got for her Birthday from her Aunt Adrienne (which she still LOVES) and I think Emma and I played there for the next two hours. I'm half tempted to keep this and just get a bigger mirror but boy was this a great accident.



Another "before" view of Emma's windows....


And here is the "after". We swapped out the pink curtains for some white ones which I am still somewhat iffy on, but love the girly that it brings. See all those butterflies hanging from the ceiling? Those are paper towels! Emma made those at home during the week when she was home with the Nanny but we have actually taken then down since the pictures. They were super cute, but we just needed a change. They even "flew" when the air conditioner is running, or when Mommy or Daddy was in bed with here and blew on them.  ::: passes out :::



So that's where we have gotten to so far! I still have a couple of things in mind that I'd like to do like figure out what else would go on her walls, get her an actual nightstand, crown molding, maybe some board and batten under the chair rail, rug to bring in some color and maye a few other things. Like I said, my goal is the year 2018. :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs