Project Playroom - Phase 2

Friday, February 15, 2013

In the beginning of December, I got that urge to do some painting and decided to tackle the Playroom. I wasn't really sure when we were going to actually start on it, but that was when I started to gather ideas. Fast forward to the week of Christmas. My intention was to work most of the week between Christmas and New Year's, but as soon as I came to work one day that week and realized that I only saw ONE other person all day, yeah, not.so.much. With my new found freedom from work for a few days, I decided to get things started. Before we get to see the results our Project Playroom - Phase 2, let's take a step back.

Beware, some of these pictures are pretty cringe worthy. :)

We moved into our home in 2005, just a few months before our wedding. I don't know what possessed me to do this, but one of the first rooms we painted was the living room. I decided to go bold and chose a dark green. Yup, didn't take me long to hate that color. :) I introduce to you, Living Room - Phase 1.


::: shutter :::

We then hired a painter to paint our kitchen, stairway and upstairs hallway since we have an open foyer and weren't about to shimmy up 16 feet in the air. We figured it was a good time to get rid of that awful green. Because I am a creature of habit, I had it painted the same color as everything else (although our family room wasn't painted at the time). Enter Living Room - Phase 2. Which also brought along with it some AWFUL curtains. Hey Laura, 1972 called and wants it's curtains back. 


Then came the babies. The living room wasn't going to last long so away it went, especially when we went from sending Emma to school to have both kids at home. We gave away the couches and eventually sold my piano (sob) to make room. Enter Playroom - Phase 1.

The extent of decorating we did in here was the six pictures you see below and the removal of the curtains. The room quickly filled up with toys and baby "stuff". It usually looked like this....


Here and there we would attempt to add more storage, so we bought a third bookcase from Ikea and then I sprung for a new rug from Overstock when it was on sale around the holidays. So this is pretty much what it looked like before we got started. Of course the spackling on the wall wasn't there quite yet, but I forgot to take a picture before I took down the pictures and patched the holes.


Another shot of the other side of the room, yup, pretty bland, nothing exciting so far.


Then, The Squishy stripped down to his skivvies and got to work.

Ugh, finally. It was about time he started pulling his weight around here.


Just kidding.

Emma did most of it.

I know. I know. I'm hilarious.

Don't quit your day job Mama.

Enter Playroom - Phase 2


Even after having three swatches of gray paint on the wall for a week, my "gray" turned out more light blue than anything, but I still like it. The funny part is, is that I have no idea what color it is. I got three samples from Home Depot, but they didn't add the name to the samples, just the color breakdown. So its something, from Behr. :) Although its "blue-er" then I originally wanted, the idea is to repaint all the other old beige/tan an actual light gray. So I think this color would blend pretty good.


Don't be fooled. The minute I let those little naughties back in the room, it took all of a half of a second to look like this....


Since Christmas we haven't done too much else outside of re-hang the pictures and we did buy our new Expedit Bookcase made bench. Just need to add a cushion to the top and we will be moving right along. So far, I've been sticking to my inspiration board (aka PowerPoint chart) but I think I'll make a few adjustments along the way. I'm rethinking the colors and may be leaving out the orange. This is usually where I get really stuck with a redecorating project because, well, I don't know how to decorate. :)



Stay tuned for Playroom - Phase 3...you know, in the year 2015.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs