It's The Little Things...

Friday, January 22, 2010

Emotional alert! Beware!

A few years ago, this would have been a very different post about what I thought made me happy. It would have consisted of the obvious, like friends and family and my husband, which are certainly all still true, but also things like new cars, or getting a pay raise at work, or buying something for myself. And not that there is anything wrong with any of those things, but the day that Emma was born, that list changed.

The big things are clearly still the same on my list today. Like friends and my family and my husband and obviously Emma. However, the list is full of much smaller things now.

The first time I realized this was just a few days ago, when I got a text message from my mom who wanted to know what size PJs Emma was wearing because there was a sale going on at Sears. It took me a few minutes, but all of the sudden it hit me as I was on my way to pick Tiny up at daycare. "WOW! I HAVE A DAUGHTER AND AM THE PERSON THAT GETS ASKED ABOUT SIZES. FOR ONCE, I'M NOT ALWAYS ASKING OTHER MOM'S ABOUT SIZES". BAM! Bring on the water-works!

For so many years, I would make phone calls to either my sister in laws or friends asking what sizes their little ones were wearing. How I wished an prayed for years, that the shoe was on the other foot and that people were asking me about my son or daughter, because that would mean, that I would too have a family of my own. Here it was. Finally.

This may seem stupid or trivial to a lot of people, but to me, it was a big deal. It also got me thinking about all of the other little things that I take for granted every day, that fill my heart in ways that I could have never imagined. Here are just a few examples of what I am talking about:
It's the basket full of toys and stuffed animals in our family room, that was never there before.


It's the sound of Emma's Bunny Mobile playing in the background as she goes to sleep at night.


It's the fact that my bathtub is full of letters, numbers and rubber duckies, instead of being empty.


It's little figurines like this, that are scattered throughout Emma's room that I move to dust.


It's the look of Emma tiny little brush and bows when I open her drawers to put her clothes away, that remind me, that one day (when my daughter actually has some hair) I will be brushing and curling her hair and putting in french braids just like my Mom did for me for so many years.



Who would have thought, that such small things, would have such a big impact on your life.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs