Master Bathroom: Part One

Monday, October 17, 2011

In between breakfast out with the babies, trips to the park, laundry and cleaning, we continued work on our Master Bathroom this weekend and made some good progress. We had painted a small spot of the walls with the color that we picked out last week but I wasn't a fan of it the more that I looked at it (I wanted grey and it was just too blue for what I was looking for) so I headed back to Home Depot after work on Friday and picked out a new shade of grey, along with a cabinet transformations kit from Rust-Oleum and some new cabinet door handles.

The color we ended up with is Pewter Mug by Behr and we were able to paint the majority of the trim (except for the ceiling since we had to go buy a ladder).

We had also started painting our bathroom door last week. This picture was taken at night so the colors were really funny so I just turned it black and white. We painted the door a bright white that matches our molding now. We have new door hardware waiting to be installed as well.

I was really anxious to try the Cabinet Restoration Kit so I jumped on that the minute the babies went down for a nap. The kit comes with instructions (paper and DVD), Deglosser, Bond Coat, optional Decorative Glaze, Protective Top Coat, Cloths, Scrub Pads and Stir Sticks and was about $75. Here is a picture of the cabinets once we removed the hardware (we never had handles, just the hardware that held the doors on the frame).

The first step was to apply the Deglosser by using one of the scrub pads. I started to get nervous because you couldn't see any difference in the cabinets so I thought I wasn't doing it right! Our cabinets are laminate, but the kit takes care of that as well, so I just kept going with my fingers crossed!

After wiping off the Deglosser and waiting for the cabinets and frame to dry, it was time for the first round of the Bond Coat. You have several options for colors when you pick the kit, we went with Kona, the darkest color outside of black. Here is a shot of the Bond Coat before getting started...

The instructions actually tell you what pattern to brush on the Bond Coat with and this is when I REALLY got nervous because it was REALLY streaky. Good thing they recommend two coats.

I felt much better after the second round of the Bond Coat. This is what the second coat looks like on the back of the cabinets. It's still a little splotchy and I don't believe that any of the follow on coats are tinted with the color so I may actually go ahead and do a third coat, or at least some touch ups.

You only have to wait about 2 - 3 hours in between doing the Bond Coat, but I gave the back of the cabinets a good 24 hours to dry before starting on the front. The only tricky part about the Bond Coat is that it really easily gets bunched up in the corners, so you have to be really careful about not getting excess stuck in the corners because it builds up really fast. Here is a shot of the front of the cabinets after two rounds of the Bond Coat.

Not to bad huh? This is when I started to feel a little bit better about trying this because it started to turn out pretty good!

You get two cans of Bond Coat, and I only cracked open one and here is a shot of how much I used total. So a little goes a long way! That was for two coats, front and back of four cabinet doors and then the cabinet frame under the sink.

Despite all the work we did this weekend, we still have a LONG way to go and our bathroom is pretty much in complete chaos. Oh yeah, Wes was also able to re-caulk in our shower too but I thought I would spare you the before and after pictures of that! I would also like to say that the stuff inside our cabinets are that messy because of the "renovations", but they aren't. Sigh.

No comments :

Post a Comment

site design by designer blogs