Hospital Tour Went Great!

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Wes and I went on our official hospital tour last night and it went really well! We were a little nervous at first because our "tour guide" was about 20 minutes late but I thought she was great (although I think Wes thought she was a little weird haha). She was a retired Nurse and was really sweet. It turns out that, she will actually be our instructor during our Childbirth Classes that start the last week of April.

I have to admit that I was a little nervous going into the tour because I was half expecting to hear someone screaming while in labor and I probably would have passed out. I guess that's what I get for constantly watching baby shows and specials haha. I was really impressed though with the hospital and feel much more relaxed when I think about the big D-Day! We were able to walk into an actual delivery room and our tour guide gave us a good run down of everything in the room from how the bed works, to the baby monitors and warmer, all the way down to how the toilet works haha. It was actually pretty funny at one point because she brought all the mom's into the bathroom to show us the size of the shower and asked "Ok, so who here is going to go all natural?" There were about 7 of us on the tour and we all looked around at each other like "No Way Jose!!" haha! So she had a group full of epidural fans!! :)

The maternity ward was actually packed last night, they didn't have one room available and what impressed me was how quiet and calm everything was. We got a tour of the labor rooms, post delivery rooms, special care nursery, waiting rooms and even where the C-Sections occur (although we didn't actually go in that room). It was nice to have someone walk us through the different areas and say, ok, if this happens, the baby will come in here, if you need a C-Section, the father waits here until this, then he can join you, and the family can wait here, etc. All the rooms are single occupancy only and have plenty of space for family, visitors, etc. Apparently, we will be spending a minimum of 48 hours in the hospital after delivery, or 96 hours should we end up needing a C-Section (although I hope not). If you have a C-Section, you get a room with a view of the water. :)

So, all in all, it went really well and I feel very comfortable with the hospital that we chose. It was pretty surreal getting to walk through the exact rooms where we will get to meet the little peanut for the very first time!

1 comment :

  1. Laura, I'm glad to hear that the tour went well. I've only been to Harbor a few times for work, but never in the maternity ward.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs