Second Childbirth Class Update

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hi Everyone! I just remembered that I didn't post an update on our second Childbirth class that Wes and I went to this week! Must have been my day of complaining about my lack of sleep and final that distracted me haha.

We headed off to our 2nd out of 3 Childbirth classes on Monday and overall it was a pretty good class. We started out reviewing our 'homework' assignment which was a cross-word puzzle based on pregnancy nutrition. The most ironic part was that as we were reviewing the answers, another mother-to-be came in late with her dinner which was from Arby's. :) I think all the soon to be moms first looked at her like "Well, that's not very good for your baby" then realized how good it smelled and was wishing she would pass around the fries. Haha. After that, we talked a little more in depth about the different stages of labor and watched a video mainly about what the coach or partner should be doing during each stage. I think Wes had his eyes opened a bit about how much work he really has to do to help keep me together! Ha! Poor guy has a tough job! That took a while to go through and after a quick break we actually practiced slow dancing! This is one of the positions they recommend during the first stage of labor and we practiced leaning and depending on the coaches. This was kind of funny because Wes and I are going to a wedding in two weeks and I quickly realized how slow dancing wasn't going to be the same with the basketball belly in between us haha.

We then got into some more breathing techniques and practiced a few labor scenarios. The instructor would start out by saying "Okay, you just arrived in the hospital, you are 3 centimeters dilated and 50% effaced." Then we practiced our deep and slow breathing through the "contractions" and practices some massage techniques. Then, she would say "Okay, its been 6 hours and you are now 5 centimeters dilated and 70% effaced." I think we all collectively thought "Man, that took a long time." Haha...so then came some faster breathing and hand massages. The next step was "Okay, its been another 6 hours we we you are 8 centimeters dilated and 100% effaced." I think I actually said out loud at that point "WHAT?!? Only 8?!?!" Haha. I guess I am getting ready for being frustrated that I am not as far a long as I think I am.

We ended class with some quiet time which kind of reminded me of kindergarten but was relaxing none the less!

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs